You can apply to be a registered voter at anytime.
Your application must be postmarked by the voter registration deadline in order to vote in the next scheduled election. If you submit a voter registration application during the period that registration is closed, your application will be held at the local board of elections and processed when registration reopens.
- To vote in the 2020 Presidential Primary Election you must submit your application by April 7, 2020. All submissions must be in by 9:00 pm.
To register to vote, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen;
- A Maryland resident; and
- At least 16 years old*.
You cannot have been:
- Convicted of buying or selling votes;
- Found by a court to be incapable of voting by reason of mental disability; or
- Convicted of a felony or if you have, you have completed a court-ordered sentence of imprisonment.
*You may register to vote if you are at least 16 years old but cannot vote unless you will be at least 18 years old by the next general election.
Where to apply to register to vote:
You can apply to register to vote using the following methods:
To submit your registration electronically, you must provide a valid Maryland-issued state ID number or driver's license number. If you reside outside of the United States or are a member of the military or spouse or dependent of a member of the military, you can provide the last four digits of your US social security number. If you provide a Maryland-issued ID, the signature on file with the MVA will become your official voter registration signature. If you provide a social security number, it will be used as your official voter registration signature.
1) Download the Voter Registration Application Form:
2) Be sure to sign the form where appropriate before mailing it. The Voter Registration Application form cannot be processed without an ORIGINAL signature.
3) Forms can be MAILED to
State Board of Elections
P.O. Box 6486
Annapolis, MD 21401-0486
You can mail your application to your county's Board of Election office.
Click here for a list of county addresses.
DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL YOUR APPLICATION
- Click here for local board of elections locations
- The State Board of Elections
151 West Street, Suite 200
Annapolis, MD 21401
Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
- The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
201 W Preston St
Baltimore, MD 21201
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
- The Department of Social Services
- The Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)
- Offices on Aging
301 West Preston Street Suite 1007,
Baltimore, MD 21201.
The MTA Paratransit Certification Office
4201 Patterson Ave
Baltimore, MD 21215
- All public institutions of higher education
- Recruitment offices of the U.S. Armed Forces - Catonsville Plaza
5439 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore, MD 2122
- Marriage license offices
Second Floor of the Courts Building
401 Bosley Avenue, Towson, Maryland 21204.
Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Offices for students with disabilities at all Maryland colleges and universities.
- The State Board of Elections